Sunday 22 May 2011

Nice to Meet You!

My first day as a lecturer..
Excited..big time
Nervous..a bit..

I was all well prepared with the material though..
So, I wasn't that worried with the lesson..
I'd managed..

The students were the ones that I couldn't predict yet..
And there they were, already inside the classroom..well, 3 out of 4 of them..All girls!
One of them sat on the first row, right in front of my desk..
Looked like she's in her full attention for a new lecturer, keeping her eyes on..Me!
The other two behind her..giving looks to each other and softly speaking, almost whispering, to each other..My thoughts then was, they're comparing opinions with each other..about Me!
I know!!..Come On!! How paranoid was I!!

I'm the type of person who can block my feelings whenever needed though..
OK.. Let's Just do this!
Though, I was feeling rather awkward, with a small number of students in a rather small class..Yet, we don't know a thing about each other..
So, I introduce myself and asked them to introduce to themselves..
I was all open, and talked about a brief of everything..
And they were all giving this short sentenced, almost sounded unwilling, information about themselves..

I forgot the exact moment, but then came the last student, a boy..late
So, We discussed about the attendance rules a bit because of that..
But he was definitely my fresh air for that morning..
He got into class, still all distracted and preoccupied about stuffs while apologizing of his lateness..and kept on blabbing..
Thank God! Someone was willingly having a natural conversation with me!

Then, being me, I open up my lecture by eliciting them..getting answers from them and putting down the answers on the board
Just to live up the class, and to know their knowledge..
'Front row' girl and the boy were the only one who showed interest..
By then, I labelled the girl as the serious one there..
Concentrating and so getting into the lesson..nodding her head, giving answers, asking questions, and all

I made them to do design exercises just to know their capability..
The process of the first exercise were all different..
'Whispering' girls were doing it insincerely..looked like it..
'Serious' girl was all out..
And the boy was babbling along while doing his exercise..

Because the first exercise turned out good, I was tickled to do an extra exercise just right before I gave them the exact assessment..
When 'whispering' girls franticly talk to each other (a bar louder volume) and included 'serious' girl..
Then 'serious' girl as if she's the spokesperson of the girls asked me to skip it and go directly to the assessment..
By that, 'serious' girl turned into 'bossy' girl!!

Their label was stuck on them for almost the whole 4 first weeks..
Then gradually from there, they started to show their real skin..
After that came.. I know you and you know me, so what?..still keeping the distance
Then came..I want to know you better..opening up..
And so on..

And as they say, the rest is history!
Now, I would say, we're at the point of ..I know you so well!!..appreciating and respecting each other..
There are no more..Whispering girls, front row/serious/bossy girl, the boy..
they became:
'Laid back-most of the time clueless or late on information-super talented/black box' girl..
'Simple-know what she wants-consistent' girl..
'Humble or Arrogant/confused-speak up his opinion-practical' boy..

OK! Wrapping it up, guys..
What else can I say..They're Great!
Take a bow, y'all..

3 comments:

  1. can u mention the names, ms? i'm so curious.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg haha misssss im embarassed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha.. i just read these comments!! Well, Kei u gotta guess..it will remain anonymous..though, one already said it all with her comment, eh payal? hahaha..

    ReplyDelete