Sunday 25 March 2012

A Class to Get to Know the Students at their Best

I've been teaching this class for 3 terms already. And what an adventure it has been. You'd get to know your students in and out in just 4 hours in a day / once a week / 3 months.

My first ever batch was exciting. They're this small group of young design students with the attitude of a pro. :). All very organized and knows their tools well

Bella.
Simple and Neat. That's how her style is. And that's her attitude. Easy on the eyes for everyone who sees it, needed a big effort for her to go through.

Payal
She's the one. A lecturer's dream. Very talented.Thorough. Hardworking. Very good with criticism. The perfect student ;)

Nadia.
She's almost always seems lost. But she's not. That's how talented she is. She a natural designer, born with it. She knew from the beginning what she wants and did some self-adjustments here and there along the way. Nothing could stop her.








Victor.
He was the only boy. Having all the girls criticize his work probably was one of the many things that got him through this. He has great materials to begin with. Everything else just follows through.








Rinie.
This is my first time (and last) teaching her. So, not like the others, I have never seen her work nor do I know her.
Along the way, while I'm speeding up to get to know her, she gradually expressed her character to the concept.


Second batch, with more experience from the first. I was better prepared. And I definitely know these talented young characterized girls and trust them enough to apply their character to their design.

Cecilia.
She knows her style well. Which is so her character. From the first I got acquainted with her and her work, I know she's very persistent and not easily broken down from bad comments about her style. She'd find her way
through and around it just to keep her style. That's the good part.
The not so good part, is she sometimes doesn't execute her style to the optimum final result.
But, fortunately with all the time we had, her work wasn't disappointing.







Jessica Jeval.
She's my black box student in this batch. Very bright. Lots of great ideas. The progress was worrying me, even though I know she'll come up with an outstanding result. And she did.


My most well prepared student in this batch. No worries with her and her work. Ever. Got the whole concept and goes to details as well. In her case, even the smallest, sentimental reasons counts. Which made her work very characterized and always has her personal touch.





Ince.
I really have been having problems getting to know her. Just because of how very quiet she is. She gets really shy and all nervous whenever she's only even explaining and nonetheless presenting herself and her work. Actually, Me myself after having her in my classes the terms before had a quite clear picture of how her style is. But, the whole point is for her to know what it is, be confident, and come with a good concept that represent it.

She had a bit struggle in the beginning. But she worked her brains out to accomplish the result and all the hard work paid off. She was probably the one who took the most of her time on re-doing work for the class. 









Liana.
She was a puzzle for me too, in the beginning. I taught her before once, but it was a construction class..which of course doesn't help at all on knowing her style. Though, I got the picture on how she works.
Which is worrying.
Well, she did struggle a bit in the beginning. As if she's in denial with her own style and considered other styles (which is not hers) could've probably been better. But she snapped out of it, and got right back at track.


It was an honor having each and every one of them in my class. This class has been the one that puts my smile in the morning, starting my day of a 2 hours or so of traffic, at every term. The pleasure was all mine. Thank You guys! You were great..


PS: In my last term, which had just passed, I also taught this class again. The portfolio class. It's the biggest batch ever, compared to the first two. 9 students. So, it's totally a whole new story. Wait for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment